I had a similar problem that meant amverify was not working. For some
reason tar was not available. I had to delete configure.cache, make a
symlink /usr/bin/gtar -> /bin/tar, chown amanda:disk /usr/bin/gtar and then
./comfigure bla.bla. -with-gnutar=/usr/bin/gtar

versions: amanda 2.4.p2, redhat7.1 patched.

For what its worth,

Kasper