I have the data timeout problem for a while and for me I've narrowed it
down to a particular string causing checksum failures in the tcp stuck
on a particular motherboard. I spent some time going back and forth with
David Miller and have so far got no where.

I can duplicate this with a 735 byte string If I stick the file with the
string on any partitions they fail, and if I remove the file it works.

The motherboard I'm seeing this on is an ASUS A7V133

I've built a kernel with the minimal requirements to make the machine
boot. and tried every 2.4 kernel from 2.4.0 to 2.4.18-pre7. I attempted
to try a 2.2 kernel but it didn't support the tulip card in the machine.

also its not the network card as I've tried others.  The last byte of
the packet contating the 735 byte string is corrupted.

The problem will go away if you use compression as the string is
obviously changed before it travels over the wire.

I have no idea where to go now.