We were running amanda 2.4.1p1 on solaris but we started
getting
timeout errors because we had more data than could be
estimated(if I
remeber correctly) within the timeout time. In amanda
2.4.1p1 this
value could only be changed by recompiling amanda so to
get round the
problem we made the backup point futher down the tree so
there was
less data to be estimated in one go. For example in the
disklist we
changed /export/home/staff to /export/home/staff/finance,
/export/home/staff/hr etc.

This worked fine but we wanted to upgrade to version
2.4.1p2 of amanda
which allowed more of the timeouts to be set in the
amanda.conf. So at
Xmas we upgraded to version 2.4.1p2 including updating
amanda.conf
with with the new values for timeouts etc.

All seemed to to go well(and everything up until now has
just been
background info) as the report produced by amanda at the
end of dumps
did not produce errors. The trouble started when we
needed to do a
restore(I know I should have done a test restore in the
first place)
and we found that the tape had the directory structure
i.e it had
/export/home/staff/hr/bob but it did not have any of bob's files.

After checking the end of dump reports again the size of
/export/home/staff was very small i.e. maybe enough just
to store the
directory structure. Other parts of /export/home
(/export/home is all
stored on one disk) backed up fine. The total size of
/export/home/staff is 8.9GB but the end of dump reports
are not giving
any errors about timeouts so why is amanda only backing
up the
directory structure and not the files, also why is it
only happening
for staff.

Thanks in advance

David Flood