On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 10:54:55AM -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a 70GB disk which I don't want to devote a whole DLT to. I
> really need to backup individual partitions on the disk. We are
> running amanda on Solaris 7 and have been using dump to do our
> backups. I believe to get round this problem I could use tar but I've
> heard there can be problems with this, so what are they if there are
> any?

The issues I've run into using GNU tar with amanda under Solaris:

1:  atime gets touched.  Most of the time you don't care, but when you
    really need it (usually forensics for me), atime is nice to have.

2:  Estimate time can be pathologically long for some types of data.
    Seems to be worse for large-numbers-of-small-files sort of file
    systems?  I never did figure it out completely, was still getting
    timeouts occasionally with etimeout=3600, I gave up and went
    to ufsdump.  (I know there are some estimate hacks out there,
    didn't have time to pursue that...)

3:  Aside from estimate time, tar is a bit slower (though not as much
    as you would think).

4:  tar does have path-length and name-length restrictions.

> Also how do I go about backing-up and restoring using tar?

Aside from the excellent advice already given by Joshua, make sure
amanda knows where tar is:

    % egrep GNUTAR config/config.h

--
Jay Lessert                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461