Ahh, the tar vs dump wars again.

Though I'm quite firmly entrenced in one camp, at least for the
systems I administer at the moment, it seems plain that there
is no perfect solution.  dump and tar each come with tradeoffs.
YMMV.  Let The Sysadmin Consider Local Needs Carefully Then
Proceed With Caution.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:57:40PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 at 10:46am, Jay Lessert wrote
>
> > tar has many advantages of it's own, of course, not least that it
> > actually works well, today, on reiserfs/jfs/xfs/ext3 Linux file systems
> > for which no dump even exists (AFAIK), on ext2 file systems where dump
>
> To pick one nit, xfsdump for Linux both exists and is used by amanda when
> required.
>
> --
> Joshua Baker-LePain
> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> Duke University

 Dan Wilder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/