I just wanted to find out if any of you have seen this.

I found out that I generally could get ~70 GB on a DLT-IV tape if I used
hardware compression, so I set amanda's tape length to 60 GB and started
backing up big partitions.

I was able to backup 55 and 52 GB partitions, but there's one 50 GB
partition is particular that won't fit on a tape, apparently. I've
attempted it several nights in a row, but with no success, even when
amanda starts the tape with it.

Is what hardware compression can do with files variable? In this case,
with the failure, it's a lot of oracle data, some of it is gzipped.

Eric Trager