On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, James Kelty wrote:

> When I run the amlabel utility (% amlabel Daily Daily123), I get this error:
>
> rewinding, reading label, not an amanda tape
> rewinding, writing label Daily123, checking label
> amlabel: no label found, are you sure /dev/st0 is non-rewinding?

It is referring to the devices nodes in /dev; usually there is
(at least) /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 (or /dev/st0n depending on platform)
where the former is a rewind-on-close() device, and the latter only
does a rewind when specifically asked (via 'mt rewind', etc.)

So most likely you need to specify /dev/nst0 rather than /dev/st0.

Marc