On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 at 7:23pm, Niall O Broin wrote

> For some reason, I thought that if I picked ALL it would do the flush one
> day at a time, asking for a different tape each time. If instead it flushes
> ALL onto one tape then that does effectively give you a way of maximising
> tape usage, if you're that concerned. However, you'd need to be rather
> careful that you didn't end up with too much data held.

If you do (end up with too much data), amflush will simply let you know
that it hit EOT, tell you what made it to tape, and tell you that you need
to run 'amflush' again.

> > Let several days worth accumulate then try it and let us know.
>
> No thanks - you can play with your company's data if you like :-)

Indeed.  "Maximizing" tape usage this way makes several days worth of
backups susceptible to a disk failure.  IMO, that's Bad.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering