That's helpful but I don't think it explains what I am seeing.
When I have the --sparse option turned on, tar does not backup all the
files that it should.  There is at least one directory where it doesn't
backup ANY files at all in it.

Thanks,

Luke

> Look at the GNU tar manual (not the man page) for a good explanation
> of what sparse files are and how --sparse handles them:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/manual/tar-1.12/html_node/tar_121.html
>
> Frank
>
> --On Tuesday, April 30, 2002 15:49:24 -0700 Luke Miller <millerlu@integraonli
ne.com> wrote:

> > I am having some problems with GNU tar and amanda.  I am running amanda 2.4
.2p2
> > with gnutar 1.13.19 (I have also tried 1.13.25) on Solaris 8 (sparc).
> > The command line that I am running is:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/tar --create --file /tmp/conf.tar --directory /export/raid/c
onf --one-file-system --sparse --listed-incremental /private/amanda/var/amanda/
gnutar-lists/nfs-1c-bvtn_export_raid_conf_5.new --totals .