Ok, now I will wave the white flag

I am trying to get amanda working for the first time, but am running into same problem
over and over. The particulars are: O/S is Slackware 8.0, amanda version is 2.4.3b3.
Amcheck runs fine, but when I do an amdump, the following is what I end up with:

Subject: aug AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR May 2, 2002

These dumps were to tape 00003117.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  localhost  hda5a lev 0 FAILED [missing result for hda5a in localhost response]

STATISTICS:
                          Total       Full      Daily
                        --------   --------   --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
Run Time (hrs:min)         0:02
Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --

Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --

NOTES:
  planner: Adding new disk localhost:hda5a.
  driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
  taper: tape 00003117 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]

DUMP SUMMARY:
                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
localhost    hda5a       0 FAILED ---------------------------------------

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.3b3

I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas??

Michael A. Kopach
System Administrator
Augustana University College
4901 - 46 Ave.