Yes, all the files are listed, both using "restore -tf" and amrecover.
Another thing I discovered is that the backup is not entirely good, on the
server as well as the client. I can restore some files, but not others, even
though these others may be listed in the index.

I'm getting checksum errors, as for example:

        Load tape xxx now
        continue? y
        Checksum error 243736, inode 100 file <directory file - name
unknown>
        ./bin/df is not on the tape

That was when I was trying to restore "bin/df" as a test; and this /bin/df
is listed from amrecover.

So, I had several thoughts. Please confirm/disconfirm any you feel qualified
to do:

1. /sbin/dump is making mistakes. I'm currently testing Gnu Tar with a clean
slate.

2. My tape definition is incorrect for my drive? Maybe. I'm using  a Sony
DDS-3 125 m (12 gig uncompresseD) tape, and I'm using hte following
definition which I took from the mailing list

        define tapetype SDT-9000 {
         comment "Sony SDT-9000 DDS-3 DAT drive"
        length 12288 mbytes # 12GB native for 125 m tapes
        filemark 0 kbytes
         speed 1200 kbytes # kb/s sustained rate, compression disabled
        }

3. Maybe the permissions on /var/lib/DailySet1/curinfo and index, are
incorrect? Don't know. I've got amanda.amanda drwxr-sr-x for both dirs

4. amcheck was complaining that subdirectories in those two above (like
_var, _home) didn't exist. But it said it would create them, so I figured
I'd let it

-Michael Martinez