James,

  Yes, it does make sense.  Fortunately, both of these machines reside
on the same end of the vpn, and neither use a NAT'd address.  My
suspicion is that sendsize could not resolve its hostname do to network
problems caused by the downed vpn.  What puzzles me is why the vpn's
being up or down would cause such problems.  I have put the server's and
NT's info in the hosts file on the tape server.  Will see tonight if
that corrects this problem.

  Thank you for your response!