Removing their 2.3.0.4 port was the right thing for FreeBSD to do.
That version is what, 4 years old or more?  I'd challenge the
"often used" assertion in the announcement.  If it's often used
it's only because folks like FreeBSD have been shipping it long
after it should have been replaced with a 2.4.x version.

If you look at amanda's download page at:
http://www.amanda.org/download.html

you'll se 2.4.2p2 is the latest "stable release" and that there
have been various development releases since then.

-Mitch