I'm not sure why the travan tape is not working properly.. you may want to
upgrade to Redhat 7.3 for both driver issues, and security reasons..

can I say that again.. UPGRADE :)

----

as far as your system instability, the mdrecovery process is a program
that monitors raid disks.  it's only needed (if i remember right) when you
have a raid disk fail, and it's required to do re-mirroring, or parity
rebuilds.  as to why it locks up at that point, is a difficult question..
it may just be stalled.. how long have you let it go before powering down
the machine?

it sounds to me like you have something odd going in the kernel.. if I
remember right, 7.1 comes with either a 2.2, or a really old 2.4 kernel..
I suggest getting a copy of 7.3 from someplace like www.cheapbytes.com for
$5, and upgrading the system.

-ben