[ On Friday, June 14, 2002 at 12:20:21 (-0400), Bort, Paul wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Backing up PostgreSQL?
>
> I don't know much about PostgresQL, but on MS SQL server and Oracle (IIRC),
> any update that would leave the database inconsistent should be inside a
> transaction. Any snapshot will not happen while a transaction is in
> progress; therefore the snapshot is consistent and restorable. I guess it
> depends on how sane your programmers are.

Oracle, running on any snapshot-capable unix (including FreeBSD) and
using a normal filesystem for storage, will not -- cannot possibly --
guarantee that a snapshot will not happen while a transaction is in
progress.  There is no possible interlock in any snapshot
implementations I'm aware of between the kernel (which does the snapshot
operation) and the user-land Oracle process(es).

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Planix, Inc. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>