I'm in the process of converting about 400 CDs to .oggs.  The destination
directory is currently approaching 9GB in size, and I'm using Amanda to
backup to DDS-3 (12GB) tapes.  Given that oggs and MP3s are essentially
uncompressible, I'm getting pretty close to the limits of what I can fit
onto one tape.

If I absolutely *have* to, I can split the one large directory into several
smaller directories and use tar to back them up individually.  The problem
that this creates, though, is that my directory layout is:

/usr/share/media   <- a mountpoint
                /pictures
                /video
                /samples
                /music
                /other
                /stuff

and I'd have to figure out how to backup the "top half" of ./music
(perhaps a-m), the "bottom half" of ./music (say, n-z), and all of the other
directories as a set.

I know there are ways I can do this, and I know that I can probably find
*some* answer either in the Amanda manual or in "Unix Backup and Recovery".
However, I'm certain that I'm not the first person to have this problem, and
I'd like to see what other good solutions other people have worked out.

Thanks,
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/