On Sunday 21 July 2002 14:47, Mark Cooke wrote:
>On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 19:22, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>[..]
>
>> In our experience, when the tape is recognized by the drive
>> after being inserted, the drives compression setting is restored
>> to whatever was in effect when the tape was last labeled.
>
>So as long as as hardware compression is turned off (with the
> commanded I used) *before* I run amlabel, then everytime I insert
> that tape it will not use hardware compression, as it was labeled
> up with hardware compression turned off?

Thats correct AFAIK.

>Just to make sure that hardware compression is turned off I've
> created a small script that disables it and inserted that using
> cron to run, just after amcheck, but before amdump.

That won't do much good because amdump will re-read the label, which
will reset it to whatever it was when the NEW tape was labeled the
first time.  Thats why I had to do the huge writes with dd to make
the drive flush the buffers and actually update the tape itself.

Am I making sense?  Like this, assuming nst0 is the non-rewinding
device and st0 is the rewinding one.

dd if=/dev/st0 of=/tmp/header  # this will leave it rewound
mt -f /dev/nst0 compression off
mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression off
mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression off
dd if=/tmp/header of=/dev/nst0 # too small a  write, no data
# actually moves to the tape but a tell will say block 1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nst0 count=131072
# which should force the buffer to be flushed to tape
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell #verify position
mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell # should be at block 0 and compression led is
# off after amcheck has looked at it.

diddle to suit, particularly the count variable above, some drives
may have an even bigger buffer.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M