Below is an extract from  one of the reports Amanda generated:

------------cut--------------
                          Total       Full      Daily
                        --------   --------   --------

Output Size (meg)        3132.7     3132.7        0.0
Original Size (meg)      4377.7     4377.7        0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%)    71.6       71.6        --
------------cut--------------

Am I correct in thinking that this run it used 71.6% of the total amount
of tape, also the compression doesn't seem that much
(used hight-tar with best compression)

If the tapes apparently capable of holding 8.0GB (DDS2) at a 2:1
compression rate, the above seems that its not really compressing it at
all effectively.

I have chosen to turn of hardware compression as well.

What would be the best option to use for as much compression as
possible?

I know that trying to compress already compressed files can increases
the output, but this way I have to watch what I put in every directory.

and
------------cut--------------
HOSTNAME     DISK    L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP%  MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s

heimdall   /scripts  0  10     32    320.0   0:00    103.9  0:01 45.7
idun     -/downloads 0  10     32    320.0   0:00    432.6  0:01  61.8

Again for this it seems that rather than actually compressing it, it has
increased the original file in size (the scripts directory are only perl
scripts and downloads are just a mixture of stuff).
Would it be best to use non compression for these types of files?

Mark

--
---
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;