On 23 Jul 2002 at 5:11pm, Mark Cooke wrote

>                         Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
>
> Output Size (meg)        3132.7     3132.7        0.0
> Original Size (meg)      4377.7     4377.7        0.0
> Avg Compressed Size (%)    71.6       71.6        --
> ------------cut--------------
>
> Am I correct in thinking that this run it used 71.6% of the total amount
> of tape, also the compression doesn't seem that much
> (used hight-tar with best compression)

Nope.  Original size is the size of the data on disk.  Output size is the
size after being software compressed -- that's how much data is being put
on tape.  3132.7/4377.7 = 0.716

> If the tapes apparently capable of holding 8.0GB (DDS2) at a 2:1
> compression rate, the above seems that its not really compressing it at
> all effectively.

That's an (optimistic) estimate of hardware compressed size.  You're data
isn't that compressible.

> I have chosen to turn of hardware compression as well.

Good.  Never mix software and hardware compression.

> What would be the best option to use for as much compression as
> possible?

What you're doing probably.  Software compression also lets amanda plan
tape usage better, as it knows exactly how much compression is going on.
You are telling amanda your tapelength is ~4GB, right?

> ------------cut--------------
> HOSTNAME     DISK    L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP%  MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
>
> heimdall   /scripts  0  10     32    320.0   0:00    103.9  0:01 45.7
> idun     -/downloads 0  10     32    320.0   0:00    432.6  0:01  61.8

32KB is the size of a single amanda block, thus the increase.  Is there
really only 10KB of stuff in those directories.  It looks to me like a
permissions problem.  Are those directories NFS mounted?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering