I'm using chg-manual, after commenting out the function request() and
un-commenting the alternate version that sends email to root once an hour.
I also changed the sleep command from 60 to 300 sec, since it takes a long
time for my DLT8000 to load a tape (back and forth, trying to sense
20/35/40Gb and compression states).

I also added a few lines, so it wouldn't send root email every hour all
weekend:

                timeout=`expr 60 \* 60`
                DayOfWeek=`date +%a`
                if [ $DayOfWeek -eq Sat ] || [ $DayOfWeek -eq Sun ]; then
                    timeout=`expr 24 \* 60 \* 60`
                fi

This didn't seem to work, though...

Friday's email report said amanda wanted Daily10 and Daily11.  I put in
Daily10 before I left, and `amcheck Daily` said "exact label match".  Ok so
far.

When I came in this morning, I put in Daily11.  But chg-manual keeps sending
me mail saying "insert Amanda tape into slot 115 (/dev/nst0)" with
increasing slot numbers.  I tried Daily12 and Daily10 again.
/tmp/amanda/changer.debug mostly says I/O error:

     -> rewind /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0: Input/output error
mt: The device is offline (not powered on, no tape ?).
     -> status /dev/nst0
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (10000):
 IM_REP_EN
     -> loaded <>
[...]
...snip...
     -> loaded <>
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
     -> status /dev/nst0
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x89 (DLT 40GB compressed).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
     -> loaded < BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN>
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
     -> status /dev/nst0
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x89 (DLT 40GB compressed).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
     -> loaded < BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN>
/bin/dd: reading `/dev/nst0': Cannot allocate memory
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
Exit -> 114 /dev/nst0
Args -> -slot next
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
     -> status /dev/nst0
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x89 (DLT 40GB compressed).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
     -> loaded < BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN>
     -> offline /dev/nst0
     -> load   115
[...]

Is there any way I can figure out which DailyNN tape amanda wants?
/usr/adm/amanda/changer-status-* just tells me which slot, not which tape,
I'm on.

Thanks,

Bart
--
Bart Brashers                   MFG Inc.
Air Quality Meteorologist       19203 36th Ave W Suite 101

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however,
a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.