--On Wednesday, September 25, 2002 08:42:07 -0500 Frank Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --On Wednesday, September 25, 2002 21:38:55 +1000 Gordon Cormack
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peoples,
>>
>> I'm trying to dump from an Amanda tape onto the hard-drive by not using
>> Amanda. This is probably a "you don't know how to use tar properly"
>> question but:
>>
>> I'm obviously doing something wrong here cause the command:
>>         # dd if=/dev/rmt/0n bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/local/bin/tar -cv -f
>> /export/output.tar
>>         /usr/local/bin/tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
>
> The 'c' option to tar means 'create'.  You need to extract so use 'x'
> instead.

I hate to reply to myself, but I didn't notice you were also giving tar
a filename.  If you just want the tar file that was on the tape, forget
the pipe and use of=/export/output.tar.  If you are trying to extract
the tar that is on the tape, leave off the filename and tar will extract
from stdin.

Frank