Toralf Lund wrote:
>> Amanda asks for the oldest tape (or tapes if you have runtapes > 1),
>> but she will accept any tape that is not in the last "tapecycle" number
>> of tapes. You can take certain tapes out the sequence for permanent
>> archiving by the command "amadmin yourconfig no-reuse thetapelabel".
>
> What exactly does that mean? That no tape labelled "thetapelabel" will
> be accepted in the future, or just that the one that currently has the
> label won't be reused?

What do you mean with "currently has the label".  You're not supposed
to relabel the tapes (except if one has gone bad, and you trow it in
the garbage can).  Each tape in Amanda should hav a uniq label.
Once a tape is labeled, you shouldn't touch the label anymore.

When you mark a particular tape (using its label) as "no-reuse", it
is not a candidate to put backups on anymore.  If you insert a tape
that you marked "no-reuse", Amanda will refuse to overwrite the data
on that tape.  It will not be accepted in the future neither, up to the
time that you mark the tape "reuse" again, if you like to.

--
Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                           Tel  +32 16 40.51.40
Interleuvenlaan 15 H, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM       Fax  +32 16 40.49.61