I had the same problem until I checked 2 things.
1) Make sure that's enough ports. I've got 3 clients with 12 partitions. I'm using portrange 10080-10180 and udpportrange 900-925. I tried using 50 ports for the portrange, but I was still getting client timed out messages on odd ports. 100 ports might seem to be overkill, but I haven't got the client timed out since.
2) Check any firewalls that might be on the client or server. Make sure the amanda service is starting on the client when called from the server. If it's not able to receive the clients reply or the client isn't replying, amanda'll time out.

Lalo

Marvin Davenport wrote:

i am using amanda-2.4.3b4 , I have recompiled with options
--with-portrange=850,860 --with-udpportrange=850,860

it passes amcheck but when I run amdump I get the following error in
the amdump.log
dumper: stream_client: connect to 209.123.168.230.49833 failed:
Connection timed out

it appears to be picking port 49833, any ideas why?