On Thursday 31 October 2002 04:07 pm, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 at 3:30pm, Orion Poplawski wrote
>
> > I'm trying to run amanda on a Linux server and have it backup a mix of
> > clients.  I'm trying to test out an IRIX client, and the backup is
> > failing with:
> >
> > FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >   orca       /export/acmap1 lev 0 FAILED [disk /export/acmap1 offline on
> > orca?]
> >   orca       /export/local lev 0 FAILED [disk /export/local offline on
> > orca?] orca       /export/contrib lev 0 FAILED [disk /export/contrib
> > offline on orca?]
>
> Are those all partitions?  If not, are you specifying GNUTAR as your dump
> program?  What's in /tmp/amanda/sendsize*debug on orca?

Forgot about /tmp/amanda.  sendsize shows:

calculating for amname '/export/acmap1', dirname '/export/acmap1'
sendsize: getting size via gnutar for /export/acmap1 level 0
sendsize: missing exclude list file "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
discarded
sendsize: spawning /usr/freeware/libexec/runtar in pipeline
sendsize: argument list: /usr/freeware/bin/tar --create --file /dev/null
--directory /export/acmap1 --one-file-system --listed-incremental
/var/amanda/gnutar-lists/orca_export_acmap1_0.new --sparse
--ignore-failed-read --totals .
runtar: error [must be invoked by root]

Looks like amanda was compiled with --with-user=root?  I'll try running as
root on the client...

> > Do the amanda installations on the servers and clients need to reference
> > the same paths?  The IRIX installation is from SGI's freeware site and
> > puts files in different locations.
>
> Hrm.  You may want to try compiling and installing on orca -- that way you
> know what goes where and from who.

I initially tried that, but was running into strange bugs (/usr/bin/install
appears to be broken).  We'll see...

Thanks!

- Orion