I Have the opposite viewpoint. I prefer hardware compression. It allows me to offload
processing required to the tape drive (instead of my computers) Since some of my
systems (including the backup server itself) can be slow, this actually speeds things
up for me. Also, with hardware compression, I know I can restore the tape without
having to worry about finding the right libraries and programs to do the restore. Also
(AFAIK) you can't do remote compression with samba which I use for about half of my
backups.

On the down side, I need more holding disk and I have to guess at my tape capacity.

As for both, don't do it. That is a huge waste of cpu and tape.  The first compression
algorithm will work fine. The second one will waste space with its headers and such
since it probably won't be able to get the data any smaller than the software
compression program did.

If you don't believe me, try to zip a gzip file. See if it gets any smaller.