I had some headaches switching to SSH.  The good news is that I
succeeded eventually and that it was well worth the trouble.  When
amdump fails, it is remarkably unhelpful, and as far as can be told,
it's a timeout problem.  But it's *not* a timeout problem.

If you really want to know what's going wrong with your SSH-mediated
amdump invocations, do this:

* On the amanda client machine, as super-user, stop the sshd daemon.

* One the amanda client machine, as super-user, run the sshd daemon
  interactively, with the -d option, in a terminal window.

* Now run amdump on the amanda host machine and see what is reported
  by your ssh -d process on the client.

What I found was that the amanda host machine was identifying itself
in a way that I didn't expect, and that the amanda client machine
didn't know about that name for that host.  It was easy to fix, but it
was impossible to debug except via the above-described technique.  You
may have this problem, or other problems, but ssh -d will tell you all
you need to know.  FYI, here is an entry for user "amanda" on one of
my amanda client machines as found in its
/home/amanda/.ssh/authorized_keys file:

from="manche,manche.coolheads.com,192.168.1.3,24.127.46.164,c-24-127-46-164.hsd1.va.comcast.net",no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,command="/home/amanda/libexec/amandad
 -auth=ssh amdump" ssh-rsa [user rsa key here]

It may be overkill, but I identified the host machine in *all* the
ways that it might identify itself.  Before I ran ssh -d, I didn't
know them all.  Interesting, huh?

Note also that when the amanda host machine attempts to dump itself
via ssh, its hostname, for ssh purposes, may be "localhost" and/or
"127.0.0.1".  For example, here's an entry in my
/home/amanda/.ssh/known_hosts file on my amanda host machine:

manche,manche.coolheads.com,192.168.1.3,24.127.46.164,c-24-127-46-164.hsd1.va.comcast.net,localhost,127.0.0.1
 ssh-rsa [host's own rsa key here]

Hope that helps!

--

-- Steve

Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
Coolheads Consulting

Co-editor, Topic Maps International Standard (ISO/IEC 13250)
Co-editor, draft Topic Maps -- Reference Model (ISO/IEC 13250-5)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.coolheads.com

direct: +1 540 951 9773
main:   +1 540 951 9774
fax:    +1 540 951 9775

208 Highview Drive
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060 USA

(Confidential to all US government personnel to whom this private
letter is not addressed and who are reading it in the absence of a
specific search warrant: In keeping with the publicly-confessed
criminal conduct of the Bush administration, and with the
irresponsible actions of the pusillanimous and corrupt 109th Congress,
you are co-conspiring to subvert the Constitution that you are sworn
to defend.  You can either refuse to commit this crime, or you can
expect to suffer criminal sanctions in the future, when the Executive
Branch of the government of the United States of America once again
demonstrates respect for the rule of law.  I do not envy you for
having to make this difficult choice, but I urge you to make it
wisely.)