Hi

I have a client running FC6 with an HP StorageWorks DAT72 USB internal tape drive which according to the documentation can do 36G native and up to 72G compressed. We are trying to use Amanda to just back up the server so it is configured as both server and client.

We ran amtapetype on it which suggested a tape size of around 32GB.

amcheck runs fine thus:

> su amandabackup -c "amcheck DailySet1"
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 168963360 KB disk space available, using 158477600 KB
> read label `DailySet1-03', date `20080214'
> cannot overwrite active tape DailySet1-03
>        (expecting a new tape)
> Server check took 3.853 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> Client check: 1 host checked in 0.255 seconds, 0 problems found

(This is obviously before the tape was changed today)

When we run amanda, it complained abot the size of the backup versus the length of the tape.

Thinking that this was due to the tape length, I thought that I would cheat and increased the tape size in amanda.conf to 72GB and told amanda to use root-tar (i.e. no compression) allowing the tape drive to look after the compression. This made no difference at all.

> Hostname: mail.xxxx.com.au
> Org     : DailySet1
> Config  : DailySet1
> Date    : February 14, 2008
>
> These dumps were to tape DailySet1-03.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
> The next new tape already labelled is: DailySet1-04.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> mail.xxxx.com.au mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than available tape space, 53330360 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]

The disklist looks like this:

> mail.xxxx.com.au        mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00      high-tar
> mail.xxxx.com.au        sda1    high-tar

and current disk usage is:

> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       225G   52G  162G  25% /
> /dev/sda1              99M   11M   83M  12% /boot
> tmpfs                 252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm

I'm obviously missing something here - I understood that amanda would take the compression into consideration. Should I be using software compression or hardware? If software, how do I turn of compression on the tape device?

Can anyone shed any light on this scenario for me  please?

TIA

Rgds

Nigel.