On 14/02/2008 7:41 PM, Paul Bijnens wrote:
On 2008-02-14 04:16, Nigel Allen wrote:
Hi

I have a client running FC6 with an HP StorageWorks DAT72 USB internal tape drive which according to the documentation can do 36G native and up to 72G compressed. We are trying to use Amanda to just back up the server so it is configured as both server and client.

We ran amtapetype on it which suggested a tape size of around 32GB.
[...]
 > FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> mail.xxxx.com.au mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than available tape space, 53330360 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]

Indeed 53 Gbyte backup image does not fit in 32 Gbyte tape.

Moment of embarrassing realisation. Although I had defined a tape
"HP-DAT72" with a capacity of 72GB, I only just realised that the tape I
had told Amanda to use was in fact "HP-DAT" which was pre-defined in the
examples as .......well........ "considerably smaller".

Big thank you to Paul for the other info supplied.

Nigel.