I downgraded to Amanda 2.5.2p1 and it gave me a better clue when running
amlabel.  Basically it said /dev/nst0 = permission denied.  I've been
running the amlabel command as amandabackup but didn't realize you need to
give permissions to the /dev/nst0 device (which was 750 perms and owned by
root:root).   I chmod'd to 777 to test and that fixed the problem.

Is it a known deal that we're supposed to change permission on the tape dev
name?