On Friday 11 June 2010, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> At the end of the install, it falls over with:
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/amanda/amanda-3.2.0alpha.svn.3147'
>> bash: /usr/local/sbin/amcheck: Permission denied
>>
>> And sure enough, when I go check, amcheck is owned by root, not amanda.
>
>Wow, I did *not* mean to commit that patch yet.  Oops!  That said, I
>wanted to commit it *eventually*, so I'll take a look at exactly
>what's gone wrong.
>
>We've historically chown'd just about everything to the amanda user,
>and this isn't really necessary, and complicates packaging.  So I'm
>trying to strip down the permissions to the bare essentials.
>Obviously I got it wrong.
>
>Dustin

Ok, but todays 3156 just fell over, same perms problem.

Are you sure you want to change how that works?

I thought it was part of the security model, and not even subject to
discussion, and have said so on other mailing lists, like fedora-user where
I have often promoted amanda.  But all the knowitalls there are dead set
against installing anything from the tarballs.  Shrug, their loss is how I
reply.

But it would be great if something can be made to work under an rpm or dpkg
install without throwing the baby out with the bathwater because rpm (don't
know about the deb scene) can't do the ownership and suid bits needed.

I was offline for about 2 weeks, having unsubbed before I changed ISP's,
which is a long story somewhat explained by not having a landline due to
copper failures for over 3 weeks so far this year, and forgot to resub after
the new one (shentel.net) was finally working, sorta.  I can get mail there,
but fetchmail is throwing 3 lines of warnings per access to their server
that I'm not having any luck getting their network people to decode for me.

So I haven't move any important mailing lists to there yet, and gmail is
catching the brunt of it.  Yeah, I know I'm a bad boy, and I'll take my 30
lashes with a wet noodle for not resubbing for about 2 weeks.  I thought the
list was awfully quiet but didn't have the presence of mind to check why. ;(
Blame it on oldtimers, whatever. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)