On Friday 11 June 2010, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Ok, but todays 3156 just fell over, same perms problem.
>
>Right, I haven't fixed it yet.
>
>> Are you sure you want to change how that works?
>
>Yes - chowning everything to amanda is actually *less* secure (since
>it means that someone who compromises the Amanda account could modify
>those executables)
>
>> But it would be great if something can be made to work under an rpm or
>> dpkg install without throwing the baby out with the bathwater because
>> rpm (don't know about the deb scene) can't do the ownership and suid
>> bits needed.
>
>I don't know about that - Amanda's been successfully packaged in RPMs
>for a while now.

What I have seen so far is not compatible with a tarball build, looking like
they threw away stuff until it appeared to work, how well I wasn't willing
to butcher my system and check.  However, I will probably update /dev/sda to
fedora 13 in 3 weeks or so, and at that point I might try it if what Fedora
is shipping isn't 4 years old.

>If you'd like to start up another thread on that
>topic, that'd be fine.  Or put the distro maintainers in touch with
>Dan Locks.
>
>Dustin

I will try to remember that th next time it comes up.

Thanks Dustin.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)