On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:07:57AM -0400, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
> I haven't looked too hard on this but it seems to me that amreport for
> amanda-3.1.0 doesn't correctly calculate the tape write rate.
> Here's an example:

I looked at the log file you posted later and found:

> STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Incr.
>                         --------   --------   --------
> Estimate Time (hrs:min)     0:44
>
> Tape Time (hrs:min)         4:52       4:49       0:02

This time (4:52) is the sum of the total time taken in writing each
individual DLE (DONE lines in the log).  There is overhead, particularly
when writing multi-part DLEs that is reflected in this number.

> USAGE BY TAPE:
>   Label               Time         Size      %    Nb    Nc
>   av48-2_down_Q00033  2:21      884163M  114.5    14    98

This number (2:21) is the sum of the times actually writing each
part of the DLEs (PART lines in the log).  It does not include
any overhead time between each part writing.

One conclusion that could be drawn is there is considerable
overhead as amanda finish one tape file and starts the next.
Therefore, I'd expect that if you increased the size of each
part, cutting down the number of tape files, the "Tape Time"
would reduce dramatically.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  j...@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing