On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM, McGraw, Robert P <rmcg...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> Why would amanda pick a 37GB file when there is only ~28GB left on the tape
> and when there were plenty of files waiting to go to tape that were less than
> 28GB?

Amanda doesn't track a notion of "how much space is left on the tape"
- tape drives are too unreliable in this sense.  Amanda also assumes
that you can span from volume to volume, so getting as close as
possible to the end of a volume without going over is not useful.

You can affect the order in which dumps are made with the 'dumporder' parameter.

At the moment, I'm working on support for spanning without partial
parts, which should eliminate any loss of useful space on tapes due to
internal fragmentation.

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer