On Wednesday 07 July 2010, McGraw, Robert P wrote:
> [...]
That is one of the tradeoffs, but you get better far compression ratios with
some dle's that way, in fact I enable it for all new dle's, and only disable
it it for that dle if the output size is more then 75% of input size, but
typically the output is in the 10% to 30% range.

Me, I threw iron at it about 2 years ago & built a new box. ;-)  Phenom 9550
at 2.1Ghz, 4Gb of ram, so it is no longer an all night project for me.  But
then my average backup, after compressing that which will compress, is
probably under 30Gb.  Someone with 300Gb might want to toss a little more
iron at it to keep it from bothering the morning shift.

I know when it starts, 00:30 am, but it would be nice (hint hint Dustin),
if, when it sends the report to the printer, if it also logged the total
elapsed time.  Generally under an hour here, using vtapes, plus another 3 or
4 minutes for my wrapper scripts to finish up.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)