On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Chris Nighswonger
<cnighswon...@foundations.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Dustin J. Mitchell <dus...@zmanda.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Chris Nighswonger
>> <cnighswon...@foundations.edu> wrote:
>>> Since no one has spoken up, I'm calling it a bug. The wildcard is
>>> clearly supported in a filename in exclude lists with ZWC. It follows,
>>> therefore, that it should be supported in pathing as well. So is there
>>> a bug tracking system for ZWC? If not, what is the procedure for
>>> filing a bug against it?
>>
>> I had a look at the source code, and it looks like this is *intended*
>> to work, although the code is pretty gnarly so it's hard to tell for
>> sure.  I tried extracting it to a test function and translating the
>> various Windowsisms (DWORD, _tcs functions, etc.) but it didn't work
>> out.
>>
>> "C:\\Documents\ and\ Settings\\*\\foo\\bar" would be unquoted to
>>  C:\Documents and Settings\*\foo\bar
>>
>> I wonder if that \* is being taken as an escape for the "*"?  Does
>> ...Settings\\C*\\fo... match against your user directory?
>>

> Here's the DLE I tested:
>
> client.foo.bar.com "C:/Documents and Settings" {
>  zwc-compress
>  exclude "C:\\Documents\ and\ Settings\\a*\\Application\ Data"
> }
>

> Here's a few lists (sanitized of usernames) of the resulting index. As
> you can see we still get both "Application Data" and all subdirs below
> that level. But what I may be looking for should be something along
> this line: exclude "C:\\Documents\ and\
> Settings\\%USERNAME%\\Application\ Data" and allow VSS to do the env
> var interpolation on the fly.

Being able to eyeball the source for ZWC would sure be nice in this
situation. Besides having the advantage of giving insight into how
things are supposed to work, it might also yield additional features
contributed by the community.

On that note, perhaps some of the community members should get
together and collaborate on development of a true open source Win32
Amanda client. My time is at a premium at the moment, but the time I'm
spending trying to get ZWC figured out/working may be better spent
developing.

How say ye?

Kind Regards,
Chris