On Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:31:37 am Gene Heskett did opine:

> On Friday, September 10, 2010 08:57:23 pm Dustin J. Mitchell did opine:
> > On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Florian Lengyel
> >
> > <florian.leng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Shouldn't amcheck -m DailySet3 send email if there is a changer
> > > problem? I'm told that amcheck does not send the email.
> >
> > Yes, and normally it does, so that's either mistakenly reported or
> > there's a bug of some sort.
> >
> > Dustin
>
> I'm not too sure there isn't a buglet here Dustin.  I haven't been
> getting an email from amdump, since installing pclos-2010.7, with the
> Mailto line in my amanda.conf stating that it is to send the report to
> g...@coyote.coyote.den.
>
> So I went looking in /var/spool/mail, and the gene file is normally
> empty as kmail reads it and sorts to the correct folders.  But there
> was also an "amanda" mailfile there, containing the  messages that cron
> emits when it runs the dump.  But this is not what amanda sends.
>
> Do I need an alias or .forward file someplace?
>
> So, where the heck is the mail going?  I just changed it to send it to
> g...@localhost for effect.  We'll see if I get a mail tonight.  Humm,
> the manpage doesn't say a thing about quotation marks around that
> string, so I just took them out, and space separated the two
> recipients.  And we wait....

And find out it doesn't work.  Without the "" quotes around the mailto
string, it upchucks all over itself & fails to run.  They have been added
and last nights backup s/b running now.  The manpage doesn't say that
mailto needs those.  Perhaps that s/b clarified?

What I found that accounted for all the missing system mail, was that back
on August 15th, there seems to have been an update that must have went
aglay, I had found an error message that said it couldn't find the
/etc/aliases.db directory.  But pclos doesn't use a subdir for that.  And I
had an /etc/aliases~ file and an /etc/aliases.rpmsave file.  So I mv'd it to
aliases, then added 2 more lines at the bottom to make sure that gene got
amanda's mail.  Then I ran newaliases and went to bed.  This morning I had
an inbox with 196 new messages, most of which were failure reports to
Postmaster from localhost, so I believe that this problem is now solved.

I should think I'll get 2 now, duplicates, because I have two addresses
within the quotes on line 9 of my amanda.conf.  If that works, I'll take
one out.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)