On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Gunnarsson, Gunnar
<gunnar.gunnars...@svk.se> wrote:
> ok then I must overide the tapetype def with -o option in the amvault command.

I'm not sure about that.  Your amvault run demonstrated that your
tapes can actually hold almost 6 times the data you've suggested in
your default tapetype.  That is, amvault stuffed 550% of the
configured tapetype 'length' parameter onto a single tape.  So I think
the length should be changed for *all* runs, not just amvault.

But there are cases where you want to use a different length for
vaulting runs, and you're right - in those cases you will want to
define a new tapetype and use
  amvault ... -otapetype=MYNEWTAPETYPE

As for the waiting-to-flush: from the amdump.1 you sent, I see that
the dumper gets a schedule from the planner after 2364 seconds, and
first starts writing to tape at 2365 seconds (svksdev3:/extra1, a 1kb
DLE).  It takes a while for the taper to find its new tape (EMS1-13),
which it does at 2372 seconds, and it finishes writing the part about
0.055 seconds later.

Sure enough, after that point, the taper remains idle - the driver
does not assign it any additional work.  This looks like it's related
to the multi-taper implementation, so perhaps Jean-Louis can jump in
here?

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer