I'll add to that.

We have been fouling up our tape order because the magazine
in the jukebox doesn't always get switched or we replace a
tape or...

I know there must be a better mechanism but I'm not above
editing the tapelist file directly. I put the tapes in the
order I want, as Charles said, bottom tape is usually taken
next, first in the list was most recently used, but there
is now a selection issue where amanda is tending towards
re-use of available tapes before selecting new tapes.

So I also tend to alter the use date for the tape when I move
on around in the list.

YMMV

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:42:00AM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:36:07 -0700
> Christ Schlacta <aarc...@aarcane.org> wrote:
>
> > if I have a theoretical tapecycle of 20, and the obvious 20 tapes,
> > but a small changer with only 2-5 slots, which I intend to load daily
> > with the required tapes for the night's run, is it safe to assume
> > that amanda will *ALWAYS* request tapes in the same numerical order,
> > or can it at any point pick an arbitrary tape from the list?
>
> It is not safe. If you start removing and creating tapes (for example
> as they wear out, as you need more capacity, etc.) they will get out of
> numeric sequence.
>
> "amadmin <config> tape" is your friend. E.g.:
>
> bac...@chaffee:~$ amadmin DailySet1 tape
> The next Amanda run should go onto tape DailySet1_24 or a new tape.
>                                    tape DailySet1_25 or a new tape.
> bac...@chaffee:~$
>
> Your report for each dump will indicate which tape it wants next:
>
>  These dumps were to tape DailySet1_22.
>  The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: DailySet1_23, DailySet1_24.
>
> Unless you muck with the tapes in the interval.
>
> (The two reports probably differ because I had a backup going on while
> I ran amadmin.)
>
> Also, you can predict the next several tapes by looking at the file
> "tapelist". Tapes at the bottom are up next.
>

> --
>
> Charles Curley                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> Looking for fine software       \ /    Respect for open standards
> and/or writing?                  X     No HTML/RTF in email
> http://www.charlescurley.com    / \    No M$ Word docs in email
>
> Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.