Jean-Louis,

I think the Solaris 10x86 build does in fact create a 32-bit binary.

[finsen]: /usr/local/libexec/amanda > file amandad
amandad:        ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1 [FPU], dynamically
linked, not stripped

If I'm understanding the docs below correctly this means that
we need to build the binaries differently in order to make
more than 256 file descriptors available. A build issue rather
than an OS issue.

What do you think ?

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 03:25:37PM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> Jean-Louis,
>
> I've been receiving this error on my Solaris 10 system
> running amanda 2.6.x.
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> ERROR: finsen: service selfcheck: selfcheck: lerror [open pipe to
> /usr/local/libexec/amanda/application/amzfs-snapshot: Too many open files]
> ERROR: finsen: service /usr/local/libexec/amanda/selfcheck failed: pid 29042
> exited with code 1
> Client check: 1 host checked in 97.039 seconds.  2 problems found.
>

> I have tried to use /etc/project to set non-default values for
> the file descriptor resource but with no luck.
>
> I will try to set a value in /etc/system and we will reboot
> the server so the new value becomes active.
>
> But researching the issue we found the following that I thought
> you might be interested in.
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0404/chapter2-31?l=en&n=1&a=view
>
> When the maximum number of open files for a process is not enough.
> Other limitations in system facilities can mean that a larger number
> of file descriptors is not as useful as it might be. For example:
>
>     * A 32-bit program using standard I/O is limited to 256 file
>       descriptors. A 64-bit program using standard I/O can use up
>       to 2 billion descriptors. Specifically, standard I/O refers
>       to the stdio(3C) functions in libc(3LIB).
>
>     * select is by default limited to 1024 descriptors per fd_set.
>       For more information, see select(3C). Starting with the Solaris 7
>       release, 32-bit application code can be recompiled with a larger
>       fd_set size (less than or equal to 65,536). A 64-bit application
>       uses an fd_set size of 65,536, which cannot be changed.
>
> Also URL
>      http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0404/chapter2-32?l=en&a=view
>
> accordingly I will set the value of rlim_fd_cur in our /etc/system file.
>
>                                               thank you,
>
>                                               Brian
>
> ---
>    Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org
>    Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>    Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>    NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
> confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
> privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
> is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
> from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
> distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
> sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
> system. Thank you for your cooperation.

---