Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Am 2011-05-17 23:59, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

Thanks, Jean-Louis, will do that tomorrow and report back!

ah, never mind, I tried it already ;-)

file bb
bb: data

Then it is clearly not a tar file nor a gzip file.
You said the backup is crypted with amcrypt? You should try to decrypt it with amcrypt -d I don't know what 'file' report for a file encrypted with amcrypt. It can be 'data'.
tar -tvf bb
tar: Das sieht nicht wie ein „tar“-Archiv aus.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Archiv enthält veraltete Base64-Kopfteile

Yep, german, it seems to be:

Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

gzip -d  < bb > cc

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
sorry, I want amcrypt -d
tar -tvzf bb

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

-

The file was restored via amrestore (not amrecover), with amanda 3.1.3
(and it was dumped to tape with the same release before).

I would upgrade to test again, but right now the daily amdump runs.

Thanks, greets, Stefan
It is hard to follow you. Which argument to amrestore.

Can you print all command and argument, and their stdout/stderr. I need to follow you step by step.
Post a cut&paste of the complete session.
Also, I want to see the amanda header.
Are you sure you have the correct passphrase for amcrypt

Do amrestore (without -r) correctly restore the tar file?
Do amfetchdump restore the tar file?

Jean-Louis