On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 01:59:26PM -0400, Bryan Hodgson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 09:39:15AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >
> > It is not enough to backup different DLEs on a single client from
> > a single server, you the client will only communicate with a single
> > server at any give time.
> >

> This sounds like the answer to a question I have.  Just checking:
>
> So the result of this type of collision is that the client's
> amandad appears to be off-line as far as a second Amanda server is
> concerned?
>
> We back up small pieces of data from our local research groups
> (e.g. svn from research machines) but don't do the bulky stuff
> (e.g. multi-TB datasets).  The labs are on their own for the big
> stuff.
>
> There's discussion about setting up a second Amanda server to
> handle irregular (non-cron'ed) large (possibly multi-day) backups
> for some of the researchers from machines that are also clients to
> the primary Amanda server.  DLE's on the second server are presumed
> to not over-lap the primary's DLEs.
>
> I'm mostly interested in making sure that my customers understand
> the ground rules.  I think that boils down to, "if your local
> Amanda backup job runs into the regular backup schedule, then your
> regular stuff won't be backed up until the run after your local job
> completes."
>
> Yes?  Am I missing anything?
>
> TIA.

I'd suggest a scan through the lists archives.  I seem to recall
that you can compile/configure a second amanda service using
different network ports and have them both active simultaneously.

But I've been known to be wrong before :(

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  j...@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing