On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 01:01:28PM -0500, Joseph Cheng wrote:
> I have been looking at mailing list archives but I am not sure if this is
> possible or not..... please advise.
>
> 1. Specify only certain directories per host to be backed up. Not global
> list of directories configured on server and then excludes on clients.

How about the "include" directive?  If it works the same as the last
time I used it, it effectively "excludes" anything not "included".

> 2. From client use amrecover to fetch any host's last full, sucessful
> backup in an automatted way without browsing with the ftp like client or
> answering questions. All from vtape and no physical tape devices.
> Example.... amrecover -h restorehost.domain.com DailySet1 /restore/path

amrestore might be more appropriate

> #2 is critical in virtual machine envrionment. Old virtual machine is gone,
> new one created, then automation tool runs the amrecover command to
> download the last full backup for the virtual machine that is being
> replaced.
>
> Is this possible?

In my limited experience the vm server keeps the guest data in a single
server file.  Will you be backing up that single file as seen by the
server or installing amanda on the guest and backing things up as a
remote client sees them, many individual files in one or more
filesystems?  I can see potential problems with each approach.

Whichever you decide upon, I'd recommend you practice recovery with
several different guests before you actually need it.

Jon