On 03/27/2013 01:02 PM, Kamil Jońca wrote:
Simple:
Say, I have 1 TB disk for vtapes.
I can create 900 vtapes on this disk. But all of dumps have ~500MB, so
only half of disk are used. And only 900 days are remebered.
And I'm curious if I have better utilization for  disk, so I can have
longer period of dumps.

Create 1800 vtapes.
The number of slots should not directly depend on the length of the tapetype but on the used size of each slots.

For now, if I understand correctly, I can only do statistical estimate?

Another case:
I create vtapes which are +- DVD size, and it's rather important for me
not to have "tapes" with only some bytes on them.

In other post you said:

Not sure why you change the disk every days, but it's generally BAD
unless you do full every night.

Does this have something common with message at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/amanda-users@amanda.org/msg46666.html ?

yes. what is important is to not lose all full backup.