from the session that I included,
  supereclogite is the new 3.3.3 Amanda server, and
  eclogite is the old 2.5.1p3 Amanda server.

The old server, eclogite, was added to the disklist on the new server, supereclogite, and has been backed up there since.

My session is on the new Amanda server asking to recover a file that was backed up to the new Amanda server and put to tape on the new Amanda server, but the file is from the old server. So I'm doing everything on the new Amanda server. The old one is a client to the new one.

hmm. Interesting. As I go over this in my mind, I'm realizing that the client was using ufsdump and then sending the resulting file over to the server. But, the server is Ubuntu. It cannot do a ufsrestore. Interesting. This is the first time I have had an Ubuntu server as the Amanda server (I've had a bunch of them as clients), and it seems that it breaks the work flow that I am used to. Still, I will need to straighten out what it is doing with regard to tape drive and index server.