On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 03:00:44PM -0400, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> hmm, didn't specify either of those in configure when I built Amanda 3.3.3.
> However, now that you mention amanda-client.conf, I went and looked for
> that. Turns out they were both specified there (I originally rsynced
> /usr/local/etc/amanda/ to the new server and then went about modifying
> stuff to set it up). However, changing the entries there and then running
> amrecover didn't seem to change anything.
>
> So, I tried `setdevice -h localhost /dev/nst0`, but it tells me it cannot
> talk to the tape server [request failed: timeout waiting for ACK].
>
> I also tried
>
> chrisho@supereclogite:/amanda1$ sudo amrecover -s localhost -t localhost -d
> /dev/nst0 -h eclogite.geo.umass.edu -C daily
> AMRECOVER Version 3.3.3. Contacting server on localhost ...
> [request failed: timeout waiting for ACK]
>
> Totally puzzled, because the Amanda backups seems to have been running
> flawlessly. I can access the tape drive with mt and the changer with mtx,
> and Amanda has been writing stuff to tapes.
>
> As I mentioned in my reply to Brian, I'm going to have to change my
> workflow to recover stuff for the Solaris client. But, I'll still need to
> resolve some of these issues, because the old Amanda server might have
> stuff in its configuration and files that make it think it is still the
> server.

Chris,

If you are restoring on the server, you can just use amrestore,
rather than amrecover, and pull the dump set back, amrestore will
automatically decompress, if necessary, but will not unpack it
if you leave off the -p option and do not pipe it to ufsrestore.
Then you can scp the dump file to the E250.

I believe that amrecover running on the client (once those issues
are corrected) will decompress and pipe the stream to the client
and run ufsrestore for you on the client. There shouldn't be an
issue with trying to run ufsrestore on the linux amanda server,
amanda was programmed smarter than that.

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org