We don't use wins or winbind on our network and recommend that windows users not try to use it. So, I'm not familiar with any details. However, google turns up http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/winbindd.8.html, which indicates the use of both in nsswitch.conf.

We run the smbd portion of samba, but not the nmbd portion on our Sun servers. However, as we move into Ubuntu, I've let the Ubuntu packagers have a bit more say so that I can rely on aptitude upgrades and not worry any more than necessary about custom local builds or configurations. I've managed to figure out a few interesting things about upstart and apparmor so that I can, for example, run multiple instances of mysql on different ports; but, with very few exceptions, I have taken package software rather than building my own. I did build Amanda, because that is what I am used to doing, and I want the freedom of choosing the latest Amanda. But, I'm straying from the point - on Ubuntu I have nmbd running. I should look at the local config and see what I can dial back to cut/control noise on the network.