Hi fellow Amanda Users - I've been trying to figure out how to read the ZIP
files generated by the ZManda Windows Client on our Red Hat 6 Amanda server.
The information I can find on the mailing list is somewhat conflicting. We've
been using Amanda for years to back up Linux/Unix systems but I'd like to add a
few Windows computers to our list of clients. Here is my problem:

1) I can use amfetchdump to get what appears to be a zip file:
# file staff15.zip
staff15.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

2) The "unzip" command (which has ZIP64 support) does not recognize this as a
proper file:

# unzip -l staff15.zip
Archive:  staff15.zip
warning [staff15.zip]:  12551715855 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
  (attempting to process anyway)
error [staff15.zip]:  start of central directory not found;
  zipfile corrupt.
  (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
  appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)

I have also tried 7za (7-zip for Linux) to no avail.

3) Copying the archive to Windows, the Explorer built-in zip mechanisms just
hang indefinitely. 7Zip for Windows complains that it cannot open the file as
an archive.

I should say that there were no errors reported when this backup was taken.

Some of the posts I've seen say "try PKZip" but PKZip is not free software and
that defeats the purpose of us using Amanda. I downloaded the evaluation
version of PKZip and it could indeed see the contents of the archive and
extract files.

So, my questions is - is there no free/open source software that can read and
extract from the zip files generated by the Zmanda client for Windows? Can I
switch the compression to "server" if all else fails?

Thanks as always,

Markus

---
Markus A. Iturriaga Woelfel, IT Administrator
University of Tennessee
Min H. Kao Building, Suite 424 / 1520 Middle Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996-2250
mitur...@eecs.utk.edu / (865) 974-3837
http://twitter.com/UTKEECSIT