After some further testing this morning and this afternoon, here is what I
find:

1. I am able to unzip the files on our Amanda server using the unix 'unzip'
utility, but there are "random" " error:  invalid compressed data to
inflate" errors. These do not appear to affect all files, but that is
little consolation. Testing the archive with 'unzip -t foo.zip' shows that
probably a majority of the files are OK, but many throw the same error just
mentioned.

2. Moving the archive to a Win32 box I find that I can browse the archive
using the built-in Windows zip functionality. I am also able to selectively
extract various files and their contents seem to be completely intact as
expected. However, attempting a full extract of the file results in an
"Unexpected end of file" error.

3. Attempting to use 7zip to "open as an archive" results in "Cannot open
foo as an archive" error. Testing the archive with 7zip results in the same
error.

It seems that there is a definite issue with ZWC. Its a bit much trouble to
setup a test bed and hunt through prior versions of ZWC to discover if this
is a regression and when it occurred, although I think it is as I have not
noticed this problem when restoring files in the past from Win32 backups.

Maybe Paddy or someone from Zmanda can jump in here and help scare up what
is going on here.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PS. I did find an old post regarding a similar issue[1]. However, the ZWC
does compression client-side, so I doubt the server hardware has much to do
with it unless one is unzipping on the server and it happens to have some
hardware problem.

[1] https://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?2139-Recovery-failed!