Huh!  I had a couple of instances of "it's empty" / "no it isn't" and deleted
my changerfile. This fixed it, but perhaps I should also try your patch. I was
sharing the drive and the changerfile between 2 configurations (a daily and an
archive) and thought I might have caused my problems by doing that.  I'll look
into the patch in a few weeks when I'm back in the office.

Deb Baddorf