On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 05:54:21PM -0500, Michael Stauffer wrote:
> Tom and Jon, thanks for the great replies. I'm just getting back to this
> project again.
>
> I've tried this
>
>    amtapetype -f -b 524288 -t IBM-ULTRIUM-TD5 /dev/sg2 2>&1 | tee
> tapetype-ultrium-512k-block
>
> and get this
>
> amtapetype: Error writing label 'amtapetype-1614155207': File /dev/sg2 is
> not a tape device at /usr/sbin/amtapetype line 93.
>
> I figure I need to define a tape device that includes /dev/sg2? I've added
> the changer definition to amanda.conf:

No, amtapetype needs no configuration in amanda files.
Note the command line does not include a Config Name
like "Daily".  That is because it is not related to
any particular config.

Tape libraries usually use a separate device for the
changer mechanism and for the tape drive(s).  You are
using the changer device while trying to operate the
drive.

> mtx works fine on /dev/sg2. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mtx works with the changer, so that is not surprising.

mt works with the drives.  As do things like dd, tar,
cat, etc.  Make sure you can write to, and read from,
the drive device before using the amanda commands.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)